Re: absolute or relative color tables? or ice is always blue

Hi Stuart,

> How do I make a color table or ColorControl so that there
> is a connection between a particular color and a particular data
> value or a range of data values?
>
> So far as I know a color table in VisAD spans whatever values are displayed.
> Two displays of the same parameter (but different max and mins)
> have differing colors for the same parameter value; very confusing.
>
> Eventually I want to set up a display so that it knows which colors
> to use for which parameter type as well; if I am plotting a budget I want
> red for less than zero; if I am plotting temperature I want
> pale blue for less than zero.

This mapping is determined by the low and high values passed
to ScalarMap.setRange(), and by the 'float[][] table' array
passed to BaseColorControl.setTable().  The table values
(length = table[0].length) are distributed evenly over the
(low, high) range.  If an application does not call setRange(),
then the range is determined by the range of values in
displayed data objects.