20000712: a question

>From: Bill Hibbard <hibbard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Mike/Bill -

>> Does anyone know if someone is working on providing DODS data
>> reading capability for VisAD?
>> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/dods/index.html
>
>We discussed this among the folks at SSEC and Unidata.  It
>is a question of how similar the Java APIs for DODS and netCDF
>are.  I think someone said the C APIs are identical, but that
>this is not true for their Java APIs.  At any rate, the trick
>would be to exploit the existing netCDF adapter for VisAD to
>access DODS servers.
>
>Perhaps one of the experts from Unidata can comment.

At first glance, one would think they could just use the DODS
HTTP request using netCDF format and it should seamlessly go into
VisAD.  However, that is not the case because the Java netCDF API
does not support access to a remote file using the NetcdfFile class
which is what the VisAD netCDF adapter (Plain) uses.

Unidata is interested in accessing DODS servers through VisAD.  Right
now, we don't have resources to allocate to that effort.  However,
since VisAD and DODS source code is available, anyone else who wants
to tackle this is welcome to if they don't want to wait for us to
do it.

Don
Unidata WWW Server               http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/
McIDAS Demonstration Machine  http://mcdemo.unidata.ucar.edu/