Re: somewhat newbie-ish question re netCDF

Hi Rick,

> i'm trying to start using VisAD via the gentle route of using the
> spreadsheet to display some netCDF files (produced by someone else in my
> project).
>
> as i understand her output, it's basically x,y,z,t with a dimensionless
> number called "fraction" as the result.  visad opens the file and even
> steps through the time series, but throws the following error message
> and displays nothing inside the wireframe cube:
>
> Couldn't decode attribute snof:units="fraction": Unit not in database
>
> other than asking her to assign a fake unit to it (e.g., "just say it's
> temperature in degrees Rankine!"), do you know offhand how to get visad
> to like such an input?

I'd be happy to take a look at this, if you'll send us your
file.  As follows:

  ftp hyde.ssec.wisc.edu
  login: anonymous
  password: email@address
  ftp> cd pub/incoming
  ftp> bin
  ftp> put filename.nc
  ftp> quit

Then send me email telling me the name of the file.

> "By filing this 'Bug Report' you have challenged the honor
> of my family.  Prepare to die!"

We're way past that ;)