Re: Domain, Range

Hi Vikram,

> Domain and range are scattered everywhere throughout VisAD, but
> I never seem to get a clear idea of exactly what they are.

Good question.

The names are taken from the domain and range of functions.
So for example in a time series of temperatures, time is
the domain and temperature is the range.  That is, temperature
is a function of time.  But in computer data, the function is
represented by a finite number of samples, called a Field.
These samples are taken at a finite set of time values, hence
the 'domain Set' of the Field is just this set of time values.
The temperature values at these times may be called 'range
values' or 'sample values' or just 'samples'.

I have to admit that some of the names of classes and methods
in VisAD are a bit confusing, and I could have chosen better
names.  We've tried to make up for it by supplying lots of
code examples.

Please let me know if this is still confusing, or if you
have questions about specific classes or methods.