Re: Mapping

Jim,
        You really want to use a GIS - even for quicklook to avoid
reinventing wheel.
        I would recommend Khoros which has GIS toolbox -
       as alternative there is a good o'l grass
         which comes with source and so is ultimately extensible

both have a learning curve - at least few weeks
 for more alternatives join the geoweb or gis-l list ...
peter mikes pom@xxxxxxxx

--
 Peter O.B. Mikes      pom@xxxxxxxx