Re: [thredds] [support] Question Data Access Form

  • To: "Rosul, Lauren Marie" <lmr1106@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [thredds] [support] Question Data Access Form
  • From: Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal <roy.mendelssohn@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 17:26:07 -0800
Hi Lauren:

Based on what I at say:

https://ioos.us/comt/projects/tropical_inundation/slosh--mdl--egm3?t=Effect%20of%20wind%20input%20parameterizations%20on%20hurricane%20wave%20estimation%20Hurricane%20Ike%20landfall%20ADCIRC+SWAN%20Sensitivity%20Unstructured%20surge-wave%20models%20Comparison%20of%202-D%20and%203-D%20model%20responses%20Hurricane%20IkeHurricane%20Rita

There are WMS endpoints for the data,  and depending on what you are trying to
do that might be a better solution for ArcGIS.  Or if you need the data also,
not just the image,  you can try installing the Environmental Data Connector
into ArcGIS,  which would allow you to access the OPenDAP endpoint.  This is
available at:

http://asascience.com/software/downloads/

But in either case,  I would second Nathan's warning.  These are very large
datasets.  I would strongly suggest that you spend some time becoming more
familiar with the datasets,  and think about the size of the datasets and what
you really need,  otherwise almost any request is likely to crash the program.
One nice thing about using WMS or OPeNDAP,  in each request you can request
just the variable you need for just the locations you need.  But even then,  if
you are not careful,  the request can be very large,  because it is a very fine
grid.

HTH,

-Roy

> On Jan 29, 2018, at 5:02 PM, Nathan Potter <ndp@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi Lauren,
>
> I looked at the IOOS site. All of the Ike data that I inspected appeared to
> be stored in “unstructured mesh” formats. I am not sure what you feel is an
> appropriate format, but I know that the underlying server ( an instance of
> the THREDDS Data Server, aka TDS) is capable of both subsetting the data and
> returning the results in various formats.
>
> These datasets are quite large. At the bottom of the Data Request Form page
> you can see a structural description of the dataset. Here is an example from
> FVCOM
>
> Dataset {
>    Float64 time[time = 361];
>    String Times[time = 361];
>    Float32 lon[node = 417642];
>    Float32 lat[node = 417642];
>    Float32 lonc[nele = 826866];
>    Float32 latc[nele = 826866];
>    Float32 siglay[siglay = 10][node = 417642];
>    Float32 depth[node = 417642];
>    Float32 nv[three = 3][nele = 826866];
>    Float32 zeta[time = 361][node = 417642];
>    Float32 u[time = 361][siglay = 10][nele = 826866];
>    Float32 v[time = 361][siglay = 10][nele = 826866];
>    Float32 ua[time = 361][nele = 826866];
>    Float32 va[time = 361][nele = 826866];
>    Float32 maxele[node = 417642];
>    Int32 mesh_topology;
> } noaa/ioos/comt/tropical_inundation.ike_usf_fvcom_3dwave.ncml;
>
> Note that the variables u and v are each 11,939,945,040 bytes (11.9 GB), not
> to mention the rest of the variables. I believe that this makes downloading
> the entire dataset impractical.
>
> The folks at UNIDATA, who produce the TDS software, and the Brian McKenna the
> site admin, will be better able to assist you with getting the data you need.
> I have included them in the recipients lists for this response. They will be
> able to help you formulate a subset query that also returns the data in an
> encoding that you will find useful.
>

> Thanks, and I apologize for the delayed response.
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Nathan
>

>> On Jan 22, 2018, at 7:32 AM, Rosul, Lauren Marie <lmr1106@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>> I am in need of a complete data set for hurricane Ike in order to visualize
>> the model results in ArcGIS software. I am specifically interested in the
>> model results from https://ioos.us/comt/projects/tropical_inundation . I am
>> unfamiliar with this type of data access form is there a way to request the
>> entire set in an appropriate format for my needs?
>>
>> Thank You For your help,
>> -Lauren Rosul
>>
>> Lauren Rosul
>> M.S. Geoscience
>> lmr1106@xxxxxxxx
>> Socio Environmental Analysis Lab
>> Department of Earth and Ocean Science
>> University of North Carolina Wilmington
>
> = = =
> Nathan Potter                        ndp at opendap.org
> [...]

**********************
"The contents of this message do not reflect any position of the U.S.
Government or NOAA."
**********************
Roy Mendelssohn
Supervisory Operations Research Analyst