Re: [thredds] [support] Question Data Access Form

Hi Lauren,

I looked at the IOOS site. All of the Ike data that I inspected appeared to be
stored in “unstructured mesh” formats. I am not sure what you feel is an
appropriate format, but I know that the underlying server ( an instance of the
THREDDS Data Server, aka TDS) is capable of both subsetting the data and
returning the results in various formats.

These datasets are quite large. At the bottom of the Data Request Form page you
can see a structural description of the dataset. Here is an example from FVCOM

Dataset {
    Float64 time[time = 361];
    String Times[time = 361];
    Float32 lon[node = 417642];
    Float32 lat[node = 417642];
    Float32 lonc[nele = 826866];
    Float32 latc[nele = 826866];
    Float32 siglay[siglay = 10][node = 417642];
    Float32 depth[node = 417642];
    Float32 nv[three = 3][nele = 826866];
    Float32 zeta[time = 361][node = 417642];
    Float32 u[time = 361][siglay = 10][nele = 826866];
    Float32 v[time = 361][siglay = 10][nele = 826866];
    Float32 ua[time = 361][nele = 826866];
    Float32 va[time = 361][nele = 826866];
    Float32 maxele[node = 417642];
    Int32 mesh_topology;
} noaa/ioos/comt/tropical_inundation.ike_usf_fvcom_3dwave.ncml;

Note that the variables u and v are each 11,939,945,040 bytes (11.9 GB), not to
mention the rest of the variables. I believe that this makes downloading the
entire dataset impractical.

The folks at UNIDATA, who produce the TDS software, and the Brian McKenna the
site admin, will be better able to assist you with getting the data you need. I
have included them in the recipients lists for this response. They will be able
to help you formulate a subset query that also returns the data in an encoding
that you will find useful.

Thanks, and I apologize for the delayed response.

Sincerely,

Nathan

> On Jan 22, 2018, at 7:32 AM, Rosul, Lauren Marie <lmr1106@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hello,
> I am in need of a complete data set for hurricane Ike in order to visualize
> the model results in ArcGIS software. I am specifically interested in the
> model results from https://ioos.us/comt/projects/tropical_inundation . I am
> unfamiliar with this type of data access form is there a way to request the
> entire set in an appropriate format for my needs?
>
> Thank You For your help,
> -Lauren Rosul
>
> Lauren Rosul
> M.S. Geoscience
> lmr1106@xxxxxxxx
> Socio Environmental Analysis Lab
> Department of Earth and Ocean Science
> University of North Carolina Wilmington

= = =
Nathan Potter                        ndp at opendap.org
OPeNDAP, Inc.                        +1.541.231.3317