Re: [thredds] Error from Unidata side? - Important

  • To: Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal <roy.mendelssohn@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [thredds] Error from Unidata side? - Important
  • From: Sean Arms <sarms@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2017 15:36:13 -0700
Greetings Roy,

It turns out the start of catalog.xml should use http, not https (the
validation will fail as the actual xsd on the webserver says http).  So,
the catalog xml should not be changed. As Ben said, this most likely works,
not due to something we did in the TDS code base, but perhaps due to an
updated JDOM handling the redirect. Specifically, the server (apache)
returns a "301 Moved Permanently", and perhaps JDOM is doing what Ben's
post suggested, inspecting the header, and following the information
provided by apache. What version of the TDS were you using before?

As a somewhat related issue, many organizations are requiring all
connections go to https, and we have had several support questions from
ESGF, NASA, and NOAA regarding issues with the TDS when https is forced. We
very recently setup our development TDS to have apache force https
everywhere to hopefully catch issues sooner rather than later.
Unfortunately, I don't think we could have caught this particular issue
since it was likely a change in a third party library that allows things to
work, and we don't run older versions of the TDS.

Sean