Re: [thredds] Switch to TDS 4.5 on thredds.ucar.edu on June 16

  • To: Heiko Klein <Heiko.Klein@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [thredds] Switch to TDS 4.5 on thredds.ucar.edu on June 16
  • From: John Caron <caron@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 11:53:14 -0600
> Generally, I don't like the idea of any changes in the layout of
operational products. There are often programs which make smart assumptions
to speed up processing of the data.

I understand, and its not a smart assumption to hardcode variable or
dimension names, its really a Very Bad Practice. NetCDF's strength is its
self-contained metadata.

The added difficulty here is that the data is in GRIB, and we have
intermediate software that constructs multidimensional variables and
coordinates from a collection of 2D objects whose semantics can be vague.
Version 4.5 of that software is yet another attempt to do that correctly
and for large collections. Its not possible to keep backwards compatibility
as an absolute priority.

And again, I understand well the problems of legacy code!

Regards
John