Re: [thredds] Switch to TDS 4.5 on thredds.ucar.edu on June 16

  • To: John Caron <caron@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [thredds] Switch to TDS 4.5 on thredds.ucar.edu on June 16
  • From: Heiko Klein <Heiko.Klein@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 19:39:50 +0200
Hi John,

thanks for the information. Generally, I don't like the idea of any changes in the layout of operational products. There are often programs which make smart assumptions to speed up processing of the data - which then suddenly fail.

In the current case, we've been using the subsetter to get around 10variables from the GFS, and we have one program which assumes there is only 1 time-dimension named 'time' (hardcoded) in the file (legacy-assumption, derived from an older file-format). Most likely, there was always one of the 10 variables having the 'time'-dimension until last night.

I guess, we can solve the dimension changes by a hack involving ncdump + grep + ncrename, until we find time to upgrade our program.

Best regards,

Heiko