Re: [thredds] [idvusers] Update - Changes to thredds.ucar.edu

Yes agreed there are a lot of advantage to remote and THREDDS and McIDAS ADDE
are really amazing!

-----Original Message-----
From: John Caron [mailto:caron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thu 4/3/2014 8:04 AM
To: Robert Mullenax
Cc: thredds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; idvusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [idvusers] [thredds] Update - Changes to thredds.ucar.edu

Hi Robert:

Good advice, thanks.

GEMPAK is an interesting contrast in table management. It uses
hand-maintained mappings of GRIB tables to an assigned variable name. it
is NCEP specific, so cant be used as a general solution to all GRIB
files. NCEP is focused on keeping operational software like AWIPS
current (probably GEMPAK is in this category), and not much else, in
particular archived data is an afterthought. Tools like wgrib and wgrib2
use these hand maintained tables, but its up to the user to ensure that
the tables are current, though users typically dont have the expertise
to know how to do that. The system hangs together likely 99.44% of the
time, but it sometimes "silently fails" by misidentifying variables.

Anyway, the problems with changing names is part of GRIB, regardless of
whether its local or remote. The advantage of remote is that, in
principle, the right thing can be done on the server and clients can
take advantage of it.

Regards,
John