Re: [thredds] THREDDS Garbage Collection Tuning

On 6/1/2011 9:57 AM, Rich Signell wrote:
Ethan,

According this this article:
http://www.petefreitag.com/item/746.cfm
it says

the "OutOfMemoryError - GC overhead limit exceeded" exception is
thrown by the garbage collector when it is spending way too much time
collecting garbage. This error essentially means that you need to add
more memory, or reconfigure your garbage collection arguments.

So it seems like the same issue.    Our settings are:
export JAVA_OPTS="-XX:MaxPermSize=256M -Xmx2048m -Xms512m -server
-Djava.awt.headless=true"

-Rich

"OutOfMemoryError - GC overhead limit exceeded" means you dont have enough heap
(-Xmx2048m). The MaxPermSize is different and wont directly affect this problem.

If this is a site with many catalogs, I have an alpha version of TDS that is
ready for testing that does not cache catalogs, and will probably fix your
problem. If you want to try this out, contact me off list.

Otherwise, get a memory heap dump and put it on an ftp or web server (they tend to be
very large) and send me the URL, so we can see why you are running out of memory. Google
"how to get a Java heap dump" to see how. If you want to sink your teeth into
this problem, the Eclipse MAT tool is the one to use.