Re: [thredds] content/thredds permissions using repo tomcat

Hi Howard,

Glad you got it fixed.

That sounds like the right solution. I believe (but don't have a RHEL
machine handy to double check) that Tomcat is installed in
/var/lib/tomcat5. There are links in /usr/share/tomcat5 to each of the
subdirectories (bin, conf, webapps, etc). And Tomcat is started with a
call to /usr/share/tomcat5/bin.

At some point the TDS de-references the webapps symbolic link (with a
call to File.getCanonicalFile()) and tries to access the content/thredds
directory in /var/lib/tomcat5/content. It is at this point that this
problem occurs:

> Mar 12, 2009 10:36:22 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
> SEVERE: StandardWrapper.Throwable
> java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.io.FilePermission
> /var/lib/tomcat6/content/thredds/logs read)
>     at
> java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(AccessControlContext.java:323)

I think the TDS could handle these directory paths more carefully and
not run into this problem. I'm going to add this issue to our toDo list.

Thanks for reporting,

Ethan