Re: [thredds] TDS 4.0 on RHEL5

I do have my TDS 4.0 setup on RHEL 5.3 running properly now, just
using Red Hat-provided packages - and I'm glad it works, since this is
the third or fourth time over a six-month period I've tried to get TDS
& Tomcat to work just using Red Hat-supplied components, rather than
building from source or using third-party RPMs.

I'm repeating myself, but in case it is helpful to others, my issues were:

1) Getting package order correct - The java-sun-compat packages seem
to have disappeared from the RHN repos, but Red-Hat-provided
jpackage-utils was still necessary, though I used a downrev version
since the latest version seemed broken (unfixed bug with
/usr/bin/rebuild-security-providers dependency). So first installed
jpackage utils, then tomcat5, then the current Red Hat-provided Sun Java:
java-1.6.0-sun-1.6.0.14-1jpp.1.el5
java-1.6.0-sun-devel-1.6.0.14-1jpp.1.el5
..then used alternatives commands to switch Java to Sun Java environment.

2) Then my Apache config was incorrect - I'm running a multiple-vhost
Web server, so proxy statements needed to be correct - still the same
basic config shown on:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/tech/reference/TomcatBehindProxyServer.html

3) Then I had to ensure new directory for THREDDS was created
(/var/lib/tomcat5/content/), with ownership and permissions for the
Tomcat user, symlinked from /usr/share/tomcat5/content.

4) Then I was getting a "Requested resource not available" error - had
to remember to change ownership on the thredds.war file itself to the
Tomcat user. And of course, drop the customized catalog.xml and
threddsConfig.xml in place.

> I did not have to modify any classpath settings or export them
> explicitly - I only corrected the JAVA_HOME in the tomcat5.conf file
> to point to the Sun Java, and I exported the CATALINA_HOME and
> TOMCAT_HOME in the /etc/profile file, although I'm not sure if that
> was even necessary. I don't have the .jar file you list, and it seems
> to work - are you getting explicit errors about that? I have in the
> past gotten message about missing .jars, and for my system it was
> actually dependency issues with xml-commons packages.

Now everything works!

Greg