Re: [thredds] 4.2 WMS troubles

On 11/23/2010 18:44, Ethan Davis wrote:
> Hi Mike, Phil,
>
> On 11/23/2010 2:10 PM, Mike Grogan wrote:
>
>> John and All,
>>
>> We are seeing some WMS issues moving from 4.1 to 4.2.  Specifically:
>>
>> 1.  A black image (no data I assume) is being returned for the entire
>> spatial domain of our datasets.
>>

> I'm guessing this has to do with the change in the way the WMS code
> determines the default color scale range. Basically, the default range
> for all data is -50,50 though that can be configured [1] and there are
> extensions to the standard that allow specifying a range in a request
> [2]. (There was a good discussion about the reasons for this change on
> this email list back in Sept [3].)

I looked for previous discussions but did not see any ... now that you
have referenced them, I have gotten 4.2 working per its new
specification by specifying the color scale range in the URL request.  I
am worried, though, about the need to specify a range for each standard
variable name in a config.  For our NOMADS data holdings at NCDC, that
could be a daunting task for someone ... on the order of multiple weeks
or more, perhaps.  Am I still missing something that would make that
simpler?

> [1]
> http://www.resc.reading.ac.uk/trac/myocean-tools/wiki/WmsDetailedConfiguration
>
> [2] http://www.resc.rdg.ac.uk/trac/ncWMS/wiki/WmsExtensions (see the
> COLORSCALERANGE parameter)
>
> [3]
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/archives/thredds/2010/thread.html#00293
>

>> 2.  There are way significantly fewer available projections in
>> GetCapabilities for 4.2 versus 4.1  (as in 6 versus several hundred in 4.1)
>>

> Yes. In 4.1, the list basically included all the CRS available from the
> geotoolkit package. It felt like a bit of overkill. The list has been
> trimmed down and we are looking at making it configurable.

What were the criteria for choosing the surviving available
projections?  Unless I am looking at the wrong coodrinate ID lookup
tables, most of the remaining projections don't seem too familiar.  (No
state planes, equal area, etc.)?  What about web mercator?  It seems to
me that this takes away a lot of the power of a dynamic map service.
Most importantly, it takes away a lot of options for tiled basemaps in
some mapping clients.  If you are using a titled/cached basemap via a
lightweight mapping API, you need to be able to have server-side
reprojection of the dynamic WMS data into the same projection as the
base map.  When using some APIs, it seems like this will force us to
create tiled basemaps using a very limited and arbitrary set of
projection/coordinate systems.

>> 3.  GetLegendGraphic requests yield HTTP 500 errors - Internal Server Error
>>

> Can you look in your threddsServlog.log files and see if you are getting
> any error message?

I will follow up on this when I am back in the office.  Initially, I am
seeing "java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class
sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment" when I issue the request.  I want to
double check my URL parameters though and make sure I am not messing
those up.

> Hope that helps,
>
> Ethan

Yes, it does, outside the other concerns expressed.

Thanks,

Mike