[python-users] Metpy height being read in incorrectly

Hi,

I am working on creating custom soundings using the Metpy programs. I am
running into some issues, though (discovered today). The main one being that
the height is initially read into the code correctly, but several blocks of
Jupyter code later and the height reverts back to 0 m as the surface height. To
combat this, I reread in the height in the block that I was working with, and
printed the height at the beginning and end of the block of code. The height
was read in correctly at the beginning of the block, but incorrectly at the end
of the code. I have attached two images. One is of the block of code, and the
other is of the output. This is throwing off some of my wind shear
calculations, as well as my ability to plot the LCL in meters accurately (I
have it in hPa currently, which isn't as effective at conveying the
information). This issue isn't as big a deal in the eastern US, but on the high
plains, it makes a big difference (example: my LCL was at 1670 m where it
should be around 880m)! If you could be of any help, that would be awesome!

Sincerely,

Pierce Larkin

  • Search the python-users archives: