Re: [netcdfgroup] why is ncdump a shell script in 4.6.2?

Depending how netCDF has been configured using the `configure` script,
'binaries' are often represented as scripts.  I believe it is only when
building as a shared library.  For example , looking at the
`netcdf-c/ncdump/ncdump` file after configuring/building with

    $ ./configure --prefix=$HOME/ttmp && make -j 12

I see the following header info:

#! /bin/sh

# ncdump - temporary wrapper script for .libs/ncdump
# Generated by libtool (GNU libtool) 2.4.6
#
# The ncdump program cannot be directly executed until all the libtool
# libraries that it depends on are installed.
#
# This wrapper script should never be moved out of the build directory.
# If it is, it will not operate correctly.

However, once I run 'make install' and look at $HOME/ttmp/bin/ncdump, I see
it's a binary file (as expected).

So I guess my question is, does this describe what you're seeing? Are you
running `make install` and seeing a shell script where you would expect to see
the binary?  If you are seeing a shell script in the build directory, it is for
the reasons outlined above; there is a binary ncdump file, but it is in
netcdf-c/ncdump/.libs, and cannot be executed directly until 'make install' has
been run.

-Ward