From: Pedro Vicente <pedro.vicente@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 9:37 PM
To: John Readey <jreadey@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Chris Barker <chris.barker@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: netCDF Mail List <netcdfgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, HDF Users Discussion List
<hdf-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [netcdfgroup] How to dump netCDF to JSON?

@John

>> 1.       Complete fidelity to all HDF5 features
>> 2.       Support graphs that are not acyclic.

ok, understood.

In my case I needed a simple schema for a particular set of files.

But why didn't you start with the official HDF5 DDL

https://support.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/doc/ddl.html

and try to adapt to JSON?

Same thing for netCDF, there is already an official CDL, so any JSON spec
should be "identical".

@Chris

{
"dset1" : ["dataset", "STAR_INT32", 2, [3, 4], [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10,
11, 12]]
}

>> * Do you need "rank"?

sometimes a bit of redundancy is useful, to make it visually clear

>> BTW, is a "dataset" in HDF the same thing as a "variable" in netcdf?)

yes

>>It would be really great to have this become an "official" spec -- if you
>>want to get it there, you're probably going to need to develop it more out in
>>the open with a wider community. These lists are the way to get that started,
>>but I suggest
>>1) put it up somewhere that people can collaborate on it, make suggestions,
>>capture the discussion, etc. gitHub is one really nice way to do that. See,
>>for example the UGRID spec project:

ok, anyone interested send me an off list  email

-Pedro