[netcdfgroup] How to dump netCDF to JSON?

Hello netCDFers,

A project I am working on wants to convert netCDF files to JSON.
The requirements are to dump an arbitrary netCDF-extended file
(with groups but without funky vlen/compound types) to JSON.
The first few solutions that we googled (ncdump-json, netcdf2json.py)
do not satisfy these requirements. What is the most robust and easy
command-line tool (not web-service) that dumps netCDF to JSON?
Ideally it would be somewhat configurable like ncdump -h/-x or
ncks --cdl/--xml.

Charlie
--
Charlie Zender, Earth System Sci. & Computer Sci.
University of California, Irvine 949-891-2429 )'(