Re: [netcdfgroup] [Nexus] [Hdf-forum] Detecting netCDF versus HDF5 -- PROPOSED SOLUTIONS --REQUEST FOR COMMENTS

The HDF5 features that netCDF-4 does not support do not occur very often in
the wild. The vast majority of existing HDF5 files should be read by
netCDF-4 without problems.

The main difference is that HDF5 can have circular group structure, and
netCDF-4 does not accept that. There is an archaic date format in HDF5
which is not supported by netCDF-4. NetCDF-4 does not permit the writing of
szipped files (HDF5 does), but netCDF-4 can read szipped files.

I can't remember any other differences. Ward and Dennis, did I miss
something? Or has something changed?

Ed