Re: [netcdfgroup] Compiling netcdf-fortran with Auto Builders (eg Spack)

Hello,

I’ll take a stab at answering this, but I’ll start by saying that I haven’t
heard of Spack. I’ll read up on it, but for now I can’t really comment
about it or which POV is more correct. Regarding your questions, however:

   1. I’m curious to hear any opinions that people have about Spack .
   2. No plans to move away from autotools; cmake is not ubiquitous enough
   to assume people have it handy, and we do not want to force people to
   install a new build system just to compile netCDF.
   3. It should be available in cmake using the
   ENABLE_REMOTE_FORTRAN_BOOTSTRAP option, although I would believe you if
   you told me it wasn’t working (I’m on a tablet right now and can’t check).
   4. I added the remote bootstrap as an afternoon’s project/experiment, to
   gauge interest. As I recall, it was on the heels of a discussion re: “why
   was the fortran interface split from the C library, and can they be merged
   again?” (the answers are a) long story b) no). At the time I thought that,
   if there was demand, I could invest time in adding something similar for
   the C++ interface. Honestly, though, there really hasn’t been a lot of
   discussion about it.

Sorry I can’t comment about Spack, but hopefully I’ve answered your
questions or at least provided a bit of context.

Thanks all,

-Ward

Hello,