The Unidata NetCDF group is pleased to announce the new 4.1 release of
the netCDF C/Fortran libraries. There are many exciting new features in
this release, including the following.
* Support for remote data access with the new built-in OPeNDAP
client. This client supports access to OPeNDAP data using the
netCDF C/Fortran APIs: either the netcdf-3 API (the default) or
the netcdf-4 API. The netcdf-3 interface access closely mimics the
older, C++ based libnc-dap. The new client is written completely
in C and uses our new client library, called oc, which has also
been contributed to opendap.org, as a replacement for the previous
* A completely rewritten ncgen, which now fully supports netCDF-4.
* A new nccopy utility for converting among netCDF format variants
or to copy data from a DAP servers to a local variants or to copy
data from a DAP server to a local netCDF file.
* Support for reading some existing HDF4/HDF5 data archives using
the netCDF C/Fortran APIs.
* Support for parallel I/O on netCDF classic and 64-bit offset files
using the parallel-netcdf (formerly pnetcdf) library from Argonne
National Lab/Northwestern U.
* A new nc-config script to help users build netCDF programs without
having to deduce all the needed compiler options.
* Inclusion of the UDUNITS package for handling "units" attributes.
* Inclusion of the libcf library to assist in creating CF-compliant
* Support for true file synchronization (i.e. flushing data to disk)
when using the netCDF nc_sync() API procedure to improve the
timeliness of writes for other reading processes.
The 4.1 release source code is available from the following
URL. ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-4.1.tar.gz or
Build it according to these instructions:
Report problems to the support email address:
Ed Hartnett -- ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx