Re: [netcdf-java] order of aggregation

  • To: Niels Charlier <niels@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [netcdf-java] order of aggregation
  • From: Sean Arms <sarms@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2016 13:18:56 -0600
Hi Niles,

So, quick question - do you expect the valid time in the file
hycom_glb_regp01_old_t000.nc to be before or after the valid time in
hycom_glb_regp01_old_t003.nc?

Here is what I could tell from the actual data in the files:

hycom_glb_regp01_old_t000.nc: time -> 2014-07-08T00:00:00Z (127248.0 hours
since 2000-01-01)
hycom_glb_regp01_old_t003.nc: time -> 2014-07-07T03:00:00Z (127227.0 hours
since 2000-01-01)

hycom_glb_regp01_t000.nc:       time -> 2014-07-08T00:00:00Z(127248.0 hours
since 2000-01-01)
hycom_glb_regp01_t003.nc:       time -> 2014-07-07T03:00:00Z (127227.0
hours since 2000-01-01)

Therefor, an aggregation listing the order such as:

hycom_glb_regp01_old_t000.nc
hycom_glb_regp01_old_t003.nc

will result in times decreasing in values (2014-07-08T00:00:00Z,
2014-07-07T03:00:00Z) because that's what is in the actual data files.
However, if the expectation is that the valid time in _t003 is after the
valid time in _t000, then things might only look correct if you reverse the
aggregation order.

Sean