[netcdf-java] order of aggregation

Hi Everyone,

I have changed my mind on this other aggregation issue I discussed in one of my emails (see below), I said it was unrelated to netcdf-java but it doesn't seem to be the case. Well, I really want to hear your opinion. The issue is related to the order of files listed for aggregations.

I have found that the issue lies in part with geotools, because it is making certain assumptions about time variables being increasing rather than decreasing. Convention does demand that a variable is either one of the two (but not in random order).

The question is whether the list of files in an .ncml files should also be in a certain order. It seems that netcdf-java (which does the actual aggregating of the variables) follows the order from the ncml code. That means that the values inside the aggregated variable may end up in random order.

For example, assume you have two files.
One has time values 1,2,3. The the other one has 4,5,6.

If we now place them in opposite order in our .ncml file, netcdf-java appears to create an aggregated variable with values 4,5,6,1,2,3

In that case, geotools cannot even assume that the extremes are on both ends of the list, which is IMO faulty and can cause many issues with other assumptions in the code.

Have I found something here, or do you disagree? Thank you for responding.

Should we just demand from users to place the list of file sin the same order as the order of values inside the .nc files (increasing/decreasing)? is that (un)reasonable?

Kind Regards
Niels