Re: [netcdf-java] Troubles having different Time dimension names on different forecasts

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 7:33 PM, John Caron <jcaron1129@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Daniele:
>
> The possible changing of dimension names would be across different
> GribCollections. Since these are created independently, theres no way to
> reliable ensure that the same coordinate name is used. The names are
> arbitrary.
>
> 1) Grib Collections are designed to handle collections of GRIB files. So
> if you put all of your files into a single collection, there wouldnt be a
> problem.

Right... This is why I tried that approach.

> If you have too many files for one collections (rule of thumb ~ 1M
> records), you can do a partition of collections. the seperate collections
> may have different coord names, but the overall collection will reconcile
> that.

Yep. I have noticed that when testing. Nice feature!

> 2) if you open the collection as a GridDataset (in 5.0 GridDataset has
> been replaced by  "CoverageDataset"), you ask for the time coordinate, not
> the coordinate named "time".
>
> 3) in 5.0, the new CoverageDataset is designed to handle both GRIB and
> FMRC (eg netcdf) files uniformly. still in alpha, but getting close to beta
> soon. This is a new API, so the most work for you, but probably the best
> long-term solution.

Thanks for the suggestion. For the moment, I guess I will proceed with the
"time" dimension/attribute rename workaround. Anyway, I'll take a look to
5.0 as a learning/investigation task.

Thanks again for your assistance.
Cheers,
Daniele