 From: John Caron <caron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: netcdf-java@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2013 10:32 PM
Subject: Re: [netcdf-java] uv component data compression

Hi antonio:

Most grib data from ncep is scaled/offset to an integer and then jpeg000
wavelet compressed. CDM can read but not write this format.

Your best bet is to get the floating point out of the CDM, subset just
what you need, and compress it when sending to your client. Standard
would be to decide how many bits of accuracy you need and convert to
integers with that precision, then bzip2 or deflate.

John