Re: Questions

John Caron wrote:

> I would reccomend to always make dimensions shared, the only possible
> exception is for char[] lengths.
>
> The reason its there is to support other file formats that often dont
> share dimension, eg HDF.
>
> So use:
>
> public Dimension addDimension(String dimName, int length);
>
> unless its the unlimited dimension, in which case you need the other one.

Not to nitpick, but the example in the User's guide uses
addDimension(String dimName, int length) where length=-1 to indicate an
unlimited dimension.  This seems perfectly natural to me (i.e. an
unlimited dimension having an exceptional value to indicate its
unlimited nature).  But your statements here + my experience indicates
that the user's guide is wrong (which would be a shame since I like the
user's guide approach).

Am I missing something?

--
Mike

begin:vcard
fn:Michael Tiller
n:Tiller;Michael
org:Emmeskay, Inc.
adr;dom:;;47119 Five Mile Road;Plymouth;MI;48170
email;internet:mtiller@xxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Vice-President Modeling Research and Development
tel;work:(734) 635-3450
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.emmeskay.com
version:2.1