[netcdf-hdf] NetCDF4 filesize using python/windows

Hello

I've got a question about the .nc output filesize. When I create a .nc file out
of a .csv file, the .nc file always turns out to be much bigger in size than
the .csv file which is not very logic. Isn't the binary file supposed to be
smaller than the csv file? I'm talking about an increment in size of
approximately 400%. The more variables I create in the NetCDF4 format, the
bigger the increment in size.

Can anyone tell me if that is meant to be or how I can reduce the size? (I
tried to use the built-in NetCDF4-compression function "zlib", but the files
turned out to be even slightly bigger than the uncompressed ones)

I work with:

*         Windows (32bit)

*         Python 3.2 using

o   Library: numpy-1.6.1

o   Library: netcdf4-0.9.6-py3.2

I wrote the NetCDF4 programs according to this link:

http://netcdf4-python.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/docs/netCDF4-module.html

Thanks a lot!

Please consider the environment before printing this email!

________________________________

***DISCLAIMER***

The information and any attachments (herein referred to as 'document')
transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed.
It may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the
intended recipient of this document, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, copying, other use of, or taking any action in
reliance upon this document by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient is illegal and prohibited. If you have received this in error, please
immediately notify the sender, permanently delete the original from any
computer and/or system, and destroy any printout of the 'document'. We thank
you for your co-operation in this matter. Pilatus Aircraft Ltd.