Re: question about HDF5 parallel use of unlimited dimensions...

Ed:
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Ed Hartnett wrote:

> Howdy all!
>
> I have a question about parallel programming with HDF5. Do parallel
> programmers just not use unlimited dimensions?

You can use unlimited dimensions for parallel programming.
> I noticed that H5Dextend is a collective operation. This would make it
> difficult for programs to add a record at a time.

I don't think it is difficult as long as all processors participate.

I may miss something. Parallel NetCDF tests I wrote include unlimited
dimension dataset tests for both collective and independent modes. Tests
passed.

Although H5Dextend is collective, I remember that I noticed that doesn't
matter for netCDF4 users. I may be wrong. Maybe other people can give
some insights.

Kent

 > Alternatively I could imagine a scheme where extending the
dataset > would be buffered - some large number of records could be added