Re: How should netcdf4 configure, how to find hdf5, etc.

"Robert E. McGrath" <mcgrath@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Greetings,
>
> This note is to kick off a discussion of how netcdf should configure, in
> order to discover hdf5.
>
> The current setup (as of alpha 2) uses h5cc.
>
> I.e., HDF 5 is installed, then in the netcdf4 directory, you
>
>    1. set CC to h5cc or h5pc
>    2. ./configure --enable-netcdf-4 [--enable-parallel] [...]
>
> We have encountered problems, apparently due to subtle interactions of
> h5cc and automake's generated makefiles.
>
> I libtoolized netcdf4, which fixed some, but not all, of the problems
> wiht
> h5cc.
>

> We need to come up with some way to reliably build netCDF4.
>
> One suggestion has been to abandon h5cc/h5pcc, substituting other
> methods
> of discovering which HDF5 to use, what compilers and paths should be
> used,
> etc..
>
> I pose now pose the question:
>
> What is the recommended approach?

I think Elena made the point that perhaps I should not be using h5cc,
but that other users might find it useful. In other words, netCDF-4 is
not the typical HDF5 user, so perhaps you don't want to generalize any
netCDF-4 solution to the broader HDF5 community.

Let's explore the issue of not using h5cc, and see how difficult it
would be.

To compile I need -I paths (for include files), -L paths (for library
files), and the names of the libraries. Is it true that there is more
than one library involved?

Ed

--
Ed Hartnett  -- ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx