Re: question for HDF5 programmers about automatic error

At 09:37 AM 12/29/2003, you wrote:
Albert Cheng <acheng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi, Ed,
>
> The default is on--it intends to help "beginners".  So, you need
> to turn it off per run via H5Eset_auto().  It is also possible for
> third party libraries (e.g., netCDF) to turn it off during the setup
> stage if they feel their users do not need the automatic error messages.

Can you tell me more about turning it off during the setup stage?

What do you mean by setup stage? Do you mean when HDF5 is first built?
Or something else?

Hi, Ed,

Say if someone has developed a package called ABC that does some scientific
calculation and uses HDF5 for data management.  If the package has something
called abc_init() in which it sets up the library ABC, then abc_init() can
call H5Eset_auto(...) to have the automatic error messages from popping on
standerr by default.  Users of ABC probably do not know or do not care about
the HDF5 messages.  Library ABC would check the HDF5 calls return code and
issue its own error messages that are meaningful to its users.

--
Albert Cheng
Scientific Data Technologies Group, NCSA              217-244-1955 voice