Re: [ldm-users] dish

Patrick,

I know of one entity that utilizes a 7m dish.
But bigger, as they say, does not necessarily mean better. Let me explain.

The entity that has a 7m dish consistently had the worst NOAAport reception, by
far, of anyone I knew. Quite frankly, another entity near Chicago that had a
2.4 m dish that frequently had better reception than they did.

The entity that had a 7m dish were running an old analog LNA/LNB instead of
just a modern, integrated LNB. When they switched it out to the highest quality
Norsat 3000 series LNB, they had an incredible jump in gain (by 12 dB!). Then,
they repeaked the dish, adding 2-3 dB more gain. Then, they replaced the coax.
Although reception of NOAAport was somewhat better, it was still worse than
anyone I knew!

Finally, they upgraded the server and put in new Ethernet cable and routing to
their network. Now, they consistently have the best reception of NOAAport that
I know of except for one NWS entity, who has a large dish out in the middle of
nowhere. But, the reception is extremely close to and very comparable to them.

We have a dish at AllisonHouse, and many days we beat others with larger
dishes. And our dish is located smack in the middle of TI Hell. We are right
next to 1 million watt TV stations, 50,000 watt AM stations, 100,000 watt FM
stations, and 5G-laden cellular towers close to the dish. We have started
getting a tad more interference over the last six year as 5G is utilized more
heavily. But the reception is still generally excellent.

I say all of that to say this: size is important, but as long as your dish is
sized adequately, then all of the other components must be of comparably
high-quality to ensure excellent reception. If one of thise elements is not,
expect bad reception...or none at all. That's more important than anything, if
you have a properly sized dish.

Gilbert Sebenste
Consulting Meteorologist
AllisonHouse, LLC