Re: [ldm-users] filters on NOAAPort dishes?

Hi Steve,

Short answer: absolutely.

More thorough answer: Absolutely. With our dish at AllisonHouse, we have been
dealing with this issue for the better part of a year. We did a complete
refurbishment on it last year. We bought the highest quality coax, an LNB with
a notch filter to only let our part of the spectrum through, and everything
else is heavily shielded.

Our dish is in the middle of what I call "TI Hell": several cellular towers,
each with different carriers already broadcasting 5G, are nearby. On top of
that, just down the road, are multiple commercial and PBS television stations,
some of which transmit at 1 million watts Effective Radiated Power (1 MW ERP).
We also have 100 kilowatt (kw) FM and 50 kw AM radio towers nearby, as well as
an active railroad line close by, producing vibrations, which I also had to
deal with. Our engineer showed me the readout at the dish from his spectrum
analyzer: it was dang ugly. Throw in COVID-19, and I had serious challenges to
overcome getting this done. I'm happy to say that by dealing with all of those
problems all at once, I can sleep at night. The only times our dish has issues
is if the uplink dies, or there's heavy snow, or a thunderstorm. Standard fare
for satellite reception.

With that, we can still lose 10,000 to 20,000 packets a day on days when our
data center generator is tested. But overall, our packet losses are low, and
I'm generally happy with the reception.

SSEC is another success story. No offense to them, but for quite a long time,
their NOAAport reception was bad. They also did a dish refurbishment, and
bought the best LNB money could buy, which is heavily filtered. When all was
said and done, they now generally lose *zero* packets per day. They got a 15 dB
signal increase(!), and they do have 5G towers close to them. They are another
model for how to do it right in a challenging RF environment.

Gilbert