Re: [ldm-users] ldm data dir question

I'm also interested in the size of the product queue (look in
~ldm/etc/registry.xml for the queue size) vs the amount of ram available.
It sounds like you could be hammering system memory.

gerry

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 8:44 PM Mike Zuranski <zuranski.wx@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Jack,
>
> First thing I want to point out is (barring any symlink or similar
> shenanigans) your product queue is not under /home/ldm/var/data/.   As
> shown by LDM's error message, the product queue is the
> /home/ldm/var/queues/ldm.pq file.  That single file will house the entire
> queue, so you wouldn't see excessive files from that.
>
> That being said, the times I've had issues like yours with not being able
> to log in or issue commands, it was usually because of either a full root
> partition ("/"), full /tmp partition (unlikely that's relevant here, but
> just FYI), full memory, or full inodes on a partition.  I see Tom already
> asked about "df -h" output, and you already checked inodes and that appears
> fine.  But those have been some of my experiences as well.
>
> So what IS in /home/ldm/var/data ?  My guess is that's where LDM is saving
> data to, and that configuration would be found in your pqact file(s).  One
> thing you could try is running the following command to see what LDM will
> attempt to save in that directory (assuming your pqact file(s) are named
> "pqact..." and in that dir, otherwise adjust accordingly):  "grep var/data
> ~/etc/pqact* | grep -i file"  (without quotes)
>
> Side-note to the above:  By default, relative paths with the FILE action
> will start in the "/home/ldm" directory.  This is set in ~/etc/registry.xml
> under /pqact/datadir-path, and you can check it with "regutil
> /pqact/datadir-path" (without quotes).  If that points straight to your
> /home/ldm/var/data/ dir then THAT becomes the default starting point for
> relative paths (and it might make the above grep command come back empty).
>
> If there are actions to save data there they should (hopefully but not
> guaranteed to) be listed by that grep command, and that could point you
> where to look next.  If it comes back empty then maybe something's getting
> PIPEd to a script which is in turn saving data there, but that might be
> harder to track down.  Either way, it's hard to know without looking in
> that directory or your pqact(s) what might be happening, but hopefully this
> will yield a clue or two.  It's possible you're getting more than you think
> you're asking for, and it's leading to that directory filling up... and if
> that's on the root partition it could explain the log in / lock up issues.
>
> You also mentioned ldmadmin scour doesn't seem to be doing much.  Check
> ~/etc/scour.conf to see where it's doing actual scouring.  Maybe it's not
> looking in that data directory, or maybe it is letting files stay too long.
>
> I'd also be curious about the size of your product queue vs. the size of
> the partition it's on.  If it's able to get made and LDM starts at all it's
> probably fine, but it is worth paying attention to.  The size of the queue
> gets defined in ~/etc/registry.xml, then just compare "ls -lh
> /home/ldm/var/queues/ldm.pq" and "df -h" to see how the partition is
> [...]

Gerry Creager
NSSL/CIMMS
405.325.6371
*The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.*
*   Walt Disney*
  • Search the ldm-users archives: