[ldm-users] 20200423: Re: Efficiency of splitting pqacts

Hi Mike,

On 4/23/20 12:39 PM, Mike Zuranski wrote:
I'm wondering if there is a difference in speed/efficiency of the LDM, or in system resource allocation, between grouping all my pqact statements in one file vs. splitting them up into different pqact files.

Since all actions in an LDM pattern-action file are processed
sequentially, there is a benefit to distributing actions in multiple
pattern-action files that are each processed by a separate 'pqact'
instance.

re:
Does LDM do anything differently or is it a wash either way?

No, each 'pqact' instance will work through the list of actions in
the pattern-action file that it works in sequence.  So, if one has
a monolithic pattern-action file with, say 10K actions, it will take
significantly longer than having 10 'pqact' instances operating
on pattern-action files that each have 100 actions.

re:
I vaguely remember this coming up at one point but I couldn't find any documentation or old email threads about it.  I'm mostly just asking out of curiosity, I don't have a specific problem that I'm trying to solve or anything.  But if I were to redo my pqact organization I'm wondering if there is a preferred methodology.

The best rule of thumb is to have multiple 'pqact' instances operating
on multiple pattern-action files when the list of actions to be
performed is large, or when some of the actions are slow.  There is no
"best practice" for, say, having only N actions in a pattern-action
file since the speed that the actions will be performed is a function
of how fast/slow each action is.  Sites invariably will need to do
their own tuning to find the right balance of speed and use of
resources (more 'pqact' instances will, of course, use more resources
like CPU, RAM, etc.).

* Tom Yoksas                                      UCAR Unidata Program *
* (303) 497-8642 (last resort)                           P.O. Box 3000 *
* yoksas@xxxxxxxx                                    Boulder, CO 80307 *
* Unidata WWW Service                     http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/ *

  • Search the ldm-users archives: