Re: [ldm-users] GOES-16 to GOES East switchover

Just a quick update on this. I checked in with Tom Yoksas at Unidata to make
sure he had seen this. His response:

> Is anything happening with AREA or GINI imagery for GOES16 after the cutover?

[Tom] Not yet.  On my list of things to do is create some McIDAS scripts that
will create sectors of the same coverages that are currently being sent as GINI
images in NOAAPort.  The format of the new sectors will not be GINI, however,
but, rather AREA.  Writing the same into the GINI format would entail creating
a GINI output ADDE server or a converter from AREA to GINI.  I am under the
impression that the GREAT majority of Unidata sites that use the GINI imagery
being distributed in NOAAPort could handle the same in AREA.  Please let me
know if you do not think that this is the case.

 > What idd data feed would you be making those available on?

[Tom] I'm thinking the images would be put into NIMAGE or UNIWISC.

So, the gist is that Unidata plans to make something available, probably some
AREA files, but they probably won't be ready right at the cutover from GOES13
to GOES16.

Is anyone out there currently using the GINI imagery that comes in over
NOAAPORT that could not use similar imagery if it came in in McIDAS AREA format
instead?

Pete

<http://www.weather.com/tv/shows/wx-geeks/video/the-incredible-shrinking-cold-pool>--
Pete Pokrandt - Systems Programmer
UW-Madison Dept of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
608-262-3086  - poker@xxxxxxxxxxxx