Re: [ldm-users] [DATAFLOW #RXH-16399-154] NOAAPort ReXmits

Thanks for all the info Patrick! I was focusing more on the volume peaks thinking that was the issue when it seems like the flatlining and resultant low volume is the actual problem caused by retransmits. I will definitely be looking through your NOAAport trends site to get a better understanding of it. Thanks again.

Dustin Sheffler
NCEP Central Operations

Not a problem, ping me anytime! Important to note though, that flatlining is HIGH volume... the flatness represents that an apparent threshold has been reached somewhere along the product flow

To explain a bit... Retransmits are a capability possessed by WFOs.... A retransmit means to send a product again.. this is in addition to the normal products, so MORE products are being sent through the same stream that has a given capacity... The reason the numbers are negative on the chart I showed you, is that chart is produced by one of my NOAAPort relays... I have two dishes, each with a single novra and two relays each per novra, that feed from my novras to my downstream racks of servers.

What this means is, that the reason the volume appears to flatline, is a bottleneck has been achieved with how much volume can be transferred along the route. I do not know if this volume limitation is the satellite capacity itself (I remember reading a document awhile back that 60mb was supposed to be the maximum, but usually it has topped out around 50mb... However, that bottleneck could also be upstream somewhere that limits the packets being sent via the uplink. I do not know I try to serve, as always by letting the various peeps know when something appears amiss!

Hopefully this has been helpful!  Ping me anytime

cheers,

--patrick

…………………………………………………………...........

Patrick L. Francis

Director of Research & Development

Aeris Weather

http://aerisweather.com/

http://modelweather.com/

wxprofessor@xxxxxxxxx

http://facebook.com/wxprofessor/

…………………………………………………………

..

On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 13:20:29 -0500, "Patrick L. Francis" <wxprofessor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 >Sorry for the delay in response due to the holiday weekend. It looks
>things have settled down a bit from the higher volume that you sent us >the screenshot of on Sunday. I'm fairly new to these NOAAPort volumes
 >so what is typical of a baseline that you've seen? My best guess is
 >that due to the active weather over the weekend, there was a higher
>volume than normal with the volume dropping back to a more normal range
 >now.
 Dustin,

 Welcome to the Dataflow team! The normal ebbs and flows of NOAAPort
volume are not greatly influenced by "active weather," but can of course
 show an increase during extreme events. The changes introduced by
 re-transmits however can cause NOAAPort to "flatline." Here is a
 highlight of such an event from last Sunday that you mentioned:

http://modelweather.com/files/cases/2017/01/noaaprot.rexmits.redux.png

Notice that the numbers are negative, and I have drawn a red box around
 the area of retransmits that occurred from Saturday evening through
 Sunday, then the normal ebbs and flows of volume resumed. The problem
 with the "flatlining" is that it can cause delays in product receipt
 that most would not notice unless they are overly familiar or acutely
 monitor product receipt times; but of course, it is something that
 should not occur. The first link on my personal site displays live
statistics on my NOAAPort Array: http://modelweather.com/ Feel free to look anytime you wish. In the title bar of the Volume Chart is a link to
 "History" that will display volume archives by day, week, month, and
 year. Feel free to peruse them to help heighten your understanding of
NOAAPort trends, and feel free to ping me whenever you like. We weather
 peeps have to stick together!

 cheers,

 --patrick

 ??????????????????????...........