Re: [ldm-users] need to understand rtstats

Hi Donna,

On May 28, 2013 6:54 PM, "donna Cote" <d-cote@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I need a little help understanding the values put into the rtstats files.
>
> I've named the files with the ldmhost_ldmversion_feedtype_product_origin,
so this is one NEXRAD2 file

>> ### my pqact entry is:
>> #        rtstats-LDMVERSION/LDMHOST/FEEDTYPE/PRODUCT_ORIGIN
>> ANY     ^rtstats\-(.*)\/(.*)\/(.*)\/(.*)
>>         FILE    -close  /home/ldm/data/rtstats/\2/\3/rtstats_\2_\1_\3-\4

rtstats_bigbird.tamu.edu_6.10.1_NEXRAD2-rpga1-phmo.nexrad.noaa.gov_v_idd.unidata.ucar.edu

> One thing I don't understand is why the "product_origin" comes across as "
rpga1-phmo.nexrad.noaa.gov_v_idd.unidata.ucar.edu"

> Why the   _v_   ?

The data-product was created on host "rpga1-phmo.nexrad.noaa.gov" and was
delivered to the host on which rtstats(1) ran by host " idd.unidata.ucar.edu".
Think of the "_v_" as "via".

> Next I have questions about the data. From the rtstats man page and one
example line from the file:

>        Creation-time of most recent product
> this file has: 20130528155822
>
>        Product-queue insertion-time of most recent product
> this file has: 20130528155824
>
>        Receiving host (eg localhost id)
> this file has: bigbird.tamu.edu
>
>        Feedtype
> this file has: NEXRAD2
>
>        Origin host
> this file has: rpga1-phmo.nexrad.noaa.gov_v_idd.unidata.ucar.edu
>
>        Products received this hour
> this file has: 72
>
>        Bytes received this hour
> this file has: 2656522
>
>        Latency of most recent product
> this file has: 1.20964
>
>        Average latency of products received this hour
> this file has: 1.12
>
>        Peak latency@min/sec past hour
> this file has: 3@2829
>
>        Version of LDM running on localhost
> this file has: 6.10.1
>

> I'm supposing the "Latency of most recent product" applies to the same
product that has these datetimes for "Creation-time" and "Product-queue
insertion-time". Is this latency in seconds? tenths of seconds?

Seconds.

> And seconds also for Average latency this hour?

Seconds. Yup.

> Now this "Peak latency@min/sec past hour" throws me for a loop. Is this
latency "at" minutes "or" seconds? minutes "and" seconds? And this is a
measurement of the peak for "the past hour"? So, if an rtstats entry has an
Creation-time of 20130528161521 - that's a meager 15 minutes after the top
of the hour - is this peak for the part of the current hour? In this case,
the "peak" is for the past 15 minutes? Example:

> 20130528161521 20130528161521 ... latency: 0.648148
>   average latency: 1.14  (this is or is not the average latency since
20130528160000 ?)
>   and Peak latency@min/sec past hour: 2@0318 could be read as?
> maybe: "peak latency of 2 seconds over a period of 3 mins and 18 seconds?"
>  or
>  "peak latency is rate of 2 seconds latency averaging over 3 mins and 18
seconds period of time?"

In your example, the peak latency is 2 seconds at 3 minutes, 18 seconds
past the hour.

> I need to explain this stuff to my boss who is very familiar with such as
latency in microseconds for packets over ethernet. Wish me luck!