Re: [ldm-users] NOAAport to go back to "normal" power levels at 7Z tonight

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010, Jami Casamento wrote:

Gilbert,
I checked with the NCF and all AWIPS sites are running an EbNo of 6.4 or better.

AWIPS SBN operations are normal at this time.

Are you having issues receiving the NOAAPort feed?

Thanks,
-Jami

Hello Jami,

Thanks for writing back. As you can see by my real-time
output:

http://noaaport.admin.niu.edu:8025

In short, I'm receiving all the packets, however...there has been a significant drop in Carrier to Noise (or if you prefer, signal to noise). With SES-1 power levels being 4 dB higher than average, I should see very high carrier to noise and very high EbNo. Late last week, Jose Nieves briefly re-attached his S75 in Puerto Rico with a 3.0 meter dish, and was getting an EbNo around 13 (the new Novra S200s use C/N and true signal receive levels rather than EbNo). That's what I would expect, given the power being given to us now.

It almost looks like something is interfering a bit with the *uplink* to your master ground station. Power levels on the satellite have not changed, but the signal quality has gone down, that is for sure.
I'm afraid that when we drop 4 dB tonight, whatever noise I'm seeing
could push us "over the edge" and have us start to lose packets.
Again, the web page above shows the signal quality drop very
clearly when you switched from the backup to the primary MGS's
this morning.

E-mail: sebenste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                  ***

  • Search the ldm-users archives: