Re: [ldm-users] [DATA:] 20090416: NOAAport down

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009, Tom Yoksas wrote:

Hi Dan, Gilbert, et. al.,

re: NOAAPort outage

Dan Vietor wrote:
We received no data for about 40 minutes.  We're getting data now
(started about 1920Z) but its very noisy.   The BER is in the 10e-3
range.

I have noticed on a number of occasions that our Novra S75 needs to be
reset after an outage or noise incident.  When I saw that we were once
again ingesting the NOAAPort broadcast, I logged onto one of our
ingesters (Solaris 10 x86) and ran S75_TEST.  Our indicated viterbi Bit
Error Rate was on the order of 10e-2 until I reset the device.  After
the reset, it has been hovering between 10e-5 and 10e-4.

I have a later generation of Novra which actually does a nice job of preventing that from happening. In fact, as of 19:42Z, I see this from my receiver:

 Symbol Rate            6.349000 Msps
 Frequency              1193.500000
 LO Frequency           5150
 VBER                   2.5670e-04

So it's getting better, but now this bad news:

NOUS71 KNCF 161857
ADANCF

THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE AWIPS CARRIER ON THE SATELLITE.  NCF AND
GLOBECOM ARE INVESTIGATING THE ISSUE.

WE WILL UPDATE AS NEW INFORMATION COMES AVAILABLE.

I hope the satellite isn't going haywire!

E-mail: sebenste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                  ***

  • Search the ldm-users archives: