Re: [ldm-users] user-stories for the LDM replacement

I've been relatively quiet on these lists over the years but I thought I would add my two cents to the discussion as well. I've been solely responsible for our ldm here at LSC for at least 8 years.

If a replacement is just going to make improvements to the existing "fetch it all" way of distributing data, please don't do it. Over the past few years the ldm has been very reliable. I don't even think about our ldm on a day to day basis any more. It was not like this many years ago. I do not wish to go back to the days of fighting with our ldm to stay up and keep a consistent data flow coming in.

I read over the wiki page a little this morning just to get a better sense of the scope that we're talking about here.

I guess I'm thinking a bit beyond the ldm as it is now. Some background: We purchased a NOAAport system several years ago because the routing beyond our campus was so bad that we could not receive our IDD feeds reliably. I would guess that we only use a very small portion of that data feed on a regular basis. The problem is that we use many, many other products on an irregular basis depending on weather events around the country or world. This will also vary depending on the needs of our courses as they progress through the semesters. Overall, we probably use less than 20% of our data on a daily basis but likely our needs would span to closer to 80% or 90% when evaluated on a product/category view spread over a semester or calendar year. The end result is that we end up ingesting a HUGE volume of data, processing it in multiple different formats to satisfy the needs of various applications (ex: gempak vs. mcidas), and then filing it on disk only to scour it out a couple of days later when, most of the time, the majority was never used at all.

I feel that the fetch on demand way of doing things with mcidas and the IDV (ADDE) are the better approach. In their current state there is a bit of room for improvement (IMO) but their approach to data access is one that can scale better in the long run. With resolution increases in imagery, radar and forecast grid products the bandwidth demands are likely going to increase at a rate faster than our internet routes can support if we continue with the "fetch it all" approach.

I've thought about the "ldm" becoming something minimal like a caching proxy for ADDE requests that pulls in data when requested by our clients regardless of the client. Not every site should need to run a full LDM server just because they'd like to view data in one of the gempak applications. (Of course this doesn't address many other issues such as how we would handle backwards compatibility with things like the huge investment of time we have made in gempak scripts.)

I would also like to see some kind of catalog or index that improves our ability to find and access new products.

I'm sorry if I've rambled a bit around the topic with this.