Re: [ldm-users] Running your LDM queues out of memory really helps!

Gilbert,

Yes... it's a great way to speed things up and save wear-and-tear on a disk if your queue is relatively small and you have enough memory. The primary disadvantage is if you reboot you lose everything in the queue, which is a problem for relay sites and a potential problem for the local system if the decoders are running behind in queue processing. I'm considering an alternative approach which is to use one of the new SSD (Solid State Disk) drives which has the advantage of being fast but also retains data on a reboot. I'm not sure how the pricing is yet, but I think it won't be long before SSD's are cheaper than adding main memory. My only hesitation is the number of write cycles you get out of the SSD's, which is important since and LDM queue is write intensive. I have to look into that a bit futher...

                                Art