Re: [ldm-users] raid / Re: Fedora 7 redux: BUSTED!

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007, Rob Cermak wrote:

RAID 1?  I like Gerry's idea of moving from RAID 5 to 6.

We had a 750GB disk die.  The volume affected went in to degraded mode.
We swapped the disk out and the volume regenerated automatically.  Took
4.5 hours, but it regenerated.  During this 4.5 hour rebuild, two things
can happen:  (1) you can lose another disk and your whole volume is
toast, (2) find out the new disk you swapped in is bad.  Anyway, this
whole proceedure did not require any downtime.  The OS (Mandriva 2007)
didn't notice a thing.  Granted I/O was a bit slower during the degraded
period and rebuild.

Still, I can accomplish the same (pretty much) and within budget with
RAID 1. If I lose a disk, I can still replace it with no downtime. That's the most important thing I need. And within my budget.

E-mail: sebenste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                  ***

  • Search the ldm-users archives: