[ldm-users] Fedora 7 redux

Hello all,

I am not ready to call weather.admin.niu.edu stable. But a "gotcha" is worth noting for all:

My hard drive on weather.admin.niu.edu is a Seagate 750 GB, 3 GB/s at 7200 RPM. It uses something called SATA 2 to achieve the 3 GB/s throughput. After talking to a system administrator locally, a kernel maintainer from Redhat, and doing research on the Web, there are still problems with SATA 2...which can result in the drive crashing. In fact, I learned that even DVR's that have their drives swapped out with ones that use the SATA 2 protocol have this very same problem. And a local sysadmin I know fried a few hard drives using it a 3 GB...on a Windows XP machine with a hardware RAID because it didn't like it.

The solution...the one recommended by RedHat...the guys with the DVR problem...and others was to put a jumper on it so that it only uses SATA 1, or 1.5 GB speed. That I did a few days ago, and no crashes, yet. When I first booted up this machine with the new drive at 3 GB/s, it took 5 days before it crashed. I'll wait a few weeks before I call this cured, if in fact it is. I also slapped on a new kernel tonight (2.6.23), which seems to be working fine.

The drop from 3 GB/s to 1.5 GB/s won't affect me any. But if this works, consider it a heads up to any who feel the need for speed in their hard drives. Let part 2 of this discussion begin!

E-mail: sebenste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                  ***

  • Search the ldm-users archives: