Re: FSL2 feed?

Robert,

>Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 20:48:03 -0600
>From: anne <anne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: Robert Mullenax <rrm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: FSL2 feed?

> ...  However, there's another issue wrt ".*" -
> contrary to what one might think, it has been found to be extremely
> inefficient and costly.   So, from that perspective, I would advise
> using the expression above instead.

Just to clarify Anne's message, the regular-expression ".*", BY ITSELF,
is quite efficient.  So a request-line like

    request FSL2 .* host.domain

is quite all right.  The problem occurs when ".*" is used as a PREFIX to
a more complex regular-expression.  So a request-line like

    request FSL2  ".*FSL\.NetCDF\.NOAAnet\.windprofiler\." host.domain

is SEVERAL HUNDRED TIMES LESS EFFICIENT than the request-line

    request FSL2  "^FSL\.NetCDF\.NOAAnet\.windprofiler\." host.domain

Robert, just a thought, do you need to adjust the regular-expressions in
your pqact(1) configuration-file?

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

  • Search the ldm-users archives: