Re: [idvusers] 2 Questions: Creating default settings and using Time Animation to view .nc radar files

  • To: Mike VandenBerg <Michael.Vandenberg@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [idvusers] 2 Questions: Creating default settings and using Time Animation to view .nc radar files
  • From: Tom Whittaker <whittaker@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 12:47:50 -0500
Hi Mike....

By "default settings", what are you referring to?  Color table?
Range?  Things like that?  If so, then you want to use the Parameter
Defaults (from the "Tools" menu....but you might want to read the User
Guide on this!).  Also, if the names in the parameter defaults table
are not matched to your data field names, you can either create a new
entry there, or add one to the Parameter Alias table.

Regarding aggregating your netCDF files -- you can use probably use
NcML to do this externally...but first I would look at the "Formula"
in the Field Selector:  Misc -> Make a time sequence...

If you elect to use NcML, you might want to explore using the
netCDF-java project's "ToolsUI" -- it provides a nice GUI for doing
mundane things like "ncdump", but it also contains an NcML editor that
allows you to get the NcML description of your file and then modify
it, if needed -- we use this a lot to "fix up" things like units.  For
"time aggregation", though, you should look at the on-line NcML
information as there are some examples there.

Good luck,

tom