Re: [idvusers] assign vertical coordinate (value) to flat ADDE image

Hi Tyn-

On 2/15/11 4:44 PM, Valentijn Venus wrote:
I have a flat ADDE image in IDV which plots in the Map Display on 0
msl. But in reality the data represents a pressure level (I.e. 800
mb).

I was hoping I could use jython to define a vertical coordinate axis,
and then augment my (meta)data so the image plots nicely at the
corresponding height in the atmosphere…

Ideas? Any pointers to which methods from the VisAD/IDV APIs I should
start with….

There is no method to easily do this. Essentially, you'll have to take apart the existing domain, add in the 800 hPa value, create a new domain RealTupleType with the appropriate coordinate system and the set the new domain on the image. It's like the reverse of GridUtil.makeDomain2D, but harder. ;-)

Couldn't you figure out where 800 hPa is on the box and use the Z Slider to move it to that location?

Another possibility would be to create a RealTupleType with the value of the level and the appropriate CoordinateSystem of Pressure to Height. Take your image which is something like:

Time -> ((x,y)->value)

and create a new FieldImpl that looks like:

Time -> (Pressure ->((x,y)->value))

That might work, but I couldn't say for sure until someone tried it. And, it would all have to be done manually - there is no method to do that either.

Anyone else have some ideas on this?

Don
--
Don Murray