Re: [idvusers] ISL script / XIDV bundle - Finding date/time stamp of most recent GOES East Full Disk IR Satellite image

  • To: Evan Lowery <elowery@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [idvusers] ISL script / XIDV bundle - Finding date/time stamp of most recent GOES East Full Disk IR Satellite image
  • From: Don Murray <dmurray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 09:57:44 -0600
Hi Evan-

Evan Lowery wrote:
Hello IDV Users,

Sorry if this was previously discussed in the IDV tutorial / mailing /
support lists ..

Goal: Develop an ISL script / XIDV bundle which generates a png image of the
most recent GOES East Full Disk IR Satellite.  The png image would include
the date/time stamp of that satellite image (i.e.
goeseast_fulldisk_yyyymmdd_hhmm.png).

So far I've been able to create an ISL script / XIDV bundle which pulls the
latest GOES East Full Disk IR Sat and generates a png image with the
following settings:

1)      Data Chooser

a.       Server (satepsanone.nesdis.noaa.gov)

b.      Dataset (PUB), Image Type (GEFDSK04I4)

c.       Times (Most recent)

d.      Data Type (Brightness)

e.      Channel (10.7 um IR Surface/Cloud-top Temp)

f.        Location (Center)

g.       Image Size (2705 x 5212)

h.      Navigation Type (Default)

i.         Add Source

2)      Field Selector

a.       Imagery (Image Display)

b.      Unchecked (Use Default)

c.       Selected (Most Recent Image)

d.      Create Display

3)      View - Properties

a.       Checked (Show Times in View, Auto-set Projection, Show "Please
Wait" Message, Show Cursor Readout)

b.      all else unchecked

c.       Full Screen Dimensions (960W x 720H)

d.      Apply

4)      View Full Screen

5)      File - Save As

a.       goeseast_fulldisk_ir.isl

                                                               i.
Product - Generate an image (checked) (${islpath/goeseast_fulldisk.png)

                                                             ii.
Advanced - Offscreen / Debug (checked), 1 Iteration, 60s Sleep Time

                                                            iii.      OK

This isl script / xidv bundle generates the desired "latest" GOES East Full
Disk IR Image.

How can it also find the date / time stamp of this satellite image, and name
the png image with that date/time stamp?

It's not explicit in the User's Guid, but, for the file name, use goeseast_fulldisk_${time:yyyyMMdd_HHmm}.png

See:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/IDV/docs/userguide/isl/BasicTags.html#simpledateformat

for the correct formatting of the time: properties.

I'm able to manually "Save current time as csv" when performing a Data
Probe/Time Series on the satellite image, but can't figure out how to
automate that process.

There is no way to do this at present that I know of.

Don
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm