[idvusers] Access to the Unidata and NSF xml catalogs in IDV

We've noticed that while we can connect to the catalogs for
meteorological data in IDV (e.g., motherloade) from certain locations
(e.g., edu), our experience in connecting with them off campus (e.g.,
from home, meetings, hotel rooms etc) varies.  This is so both with IDV
and using a web brower.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and we
can't seem to find a rule by which we can or cannot connect?   I can VPN
to my university system and become an edu, but I'm curious as to the
unpredictability of what locations can connect and what cannot, even
when both are .coms.

Are certain IP ranges (certain ranges of .coms or .nets for example)
walled out from accessing motherloade or similar catalog sites from IDV.

Cheers and Thanks
Bill Capehart <William.Capehart@xxxxxxxxx>   Associate Professor
Institute of Atmospheric Sciences         Land Surface Processes
213 Mineral Industries Building                 Hydrometeorology
South Dakota School of Mines and Technology Ph:  +1-605-394-1994
501 East Saint Joseph Street                Fax: +1-605-394-6061
Rapid City, SD 57701-3995                Mobile: +1-605-484-5692