Re: [idvusers] Contours on point data

Andy,

Sounds like typical point data at irregular locations.  So far as I know the
IDV does not yet have a way to
'grid' or 'analyze' such data to make a gridded file which is needed for contouring in the IDV. However I have gridded data using the GMT package (http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/) for making a data file for IDV use, and plan to put instructions on the GEON IDV web site http://geon.unavco.org. I will let you know when I get it done. Or you can figure out GMT for yourself before I write it up. A GMT 'grd' file is a netcdf grid file with incomplete header information. Correct the header and it will then work in the IDV. GMT is widely used in solid earth geophysics for this kind of thing, and is a good pair with the IDV.

Stuart

I have data that consists of latitude, longitude and a value in a text
file.  Is it possible for me to generate a display that doesn't show the
locations, but draws contour lines based on this data?

Thanks,

Andy Holland
Air Quality Modeler
URS Corporation
1600 Perimeter Park Drive
Suite 400
Morrisville, NC 27560//www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/

--
Stuart Wier

UNAVCO  6350 Nautilus Drive  Boulder, CO 80301  (303) 381-7500 x 450

The GEON IDV  http://geon.unavco.org
For 4D exploration and display of your geophysics data

The UNAVCO WInSAR Archive  http://winsar.unavco.org